I ate weed brownies and thought I was going to die
It’s not uncommon for someone to eat pot edibles and have a bad trip. The first time I tried them, the experience ended with me believing that I was dying.
New York Times reporter Maureen Dowd recently experienced something similar after eating a cannabis infused candy bar. Turns out that even though she’s supposed to be an investigative reporter, she did just as little research as I did during my first experience as a teenager, none at all.
I was 16 and a friend had just scored an ounce of bud, fresh from Mexico. We had smoked before, but not extensively. Just getting high by smoking that cartel weed at the time was quite an experience, being that I had zero tolerance.
We decided to make the weed brownies that we had heard so much about. Unfortunately we heard a lot, but learned very little.
A full ounce to a pan of brownies, and two hours later we were ready to give it a try.
We each started off with two brownies, having no idea what it would do. After 45 minutes passed and we felt no effects, we each decided to eat another one. Just over an hour in, my friend began to feel some effects, however I felt nothing.
An hour and 15 minutes in I still felt nothing but my friend was beginning to feel the full effects. I waited five more minutes and made the decision to eat another one. By the time an hour and 45 minutes had passed, I still felt absolutely nothing.
As a stupid teenager I made the decision to eat what ended up being half of the pan of brownies. For those keeping track, that’s half an ounce in one sitting.
A short while later I began to feel the effects, and for the next two to three hours, it was a lot of fun. Having talked to a few people about what to expect beforehand, I had the advantage of going in with the right mood and setting. Nothing could prepare me for my “overdose” though.
Let’s define what an overdose is. According to the dictionary, overdose means basically an excessive dose. Typically when you hear about someone overdosing, the mental image entails someone in danger, possibly even facing death. That’s not what occurred here, even though that’s what went through my mind.
Something to keep in mind when consuming any sort of drug is that your mind can and will play tricks on you. Even if you’re perfectly fine, if you’re thinking that you will have a bad time, you will experience unpleasant feelings, and will likely make yourself throw up. Mind over matter.
Often it’s not that there’s something wrong with you, it just so happens that you panic and cause yourself to freak out when otherwise you would have been just fine.
As the hours passed by and my conversation with a gnome on a poster ended, I began to feel strange and tired, so I sat down in a recliner to wait it out. That’s when I began to feel very odd sensations.
It felt as if I was dying, that all of my life energy was being drained, and there was nothing I could do about it. Without a doubt it was one of the worst experiences ever.
I woke up the next morning feeling absolutely fine though. Of course I was never in any danger whatsoever. It was all in my mind, a product of being ill-prepared for what I was doing. All future experiences were very pleasant because I knew what I was actually doing.
Keeping water on hand, eating something high in sugar, and finding a relaxing place to sit with soothing music or an activity are all keys to making it through a bad experience.
Both myself and Maureen made some pretty rookie mistakes, something where a little common sense would have went a long ways too. We both dived in without thinking about dosages and the fact that it can take a while for the effects to hit us. We also failed to consider that one dosage for another person could be too much or too little for us. Everyone is different.
While she went on in her story to try and paint the cannabis industry in a negative light for her own failure to find information for herself, she is correct in noting that the cannabis community does need to introduce new consumers to marijuana in an informed manner. Otherwise there’s going to be a lot of misconceptions out there.
Many people have the wrong idea about cannabis because of a bad first experience which could have been prevented with a little knowledge. No one has actually been hurt by consuming cannabis, though there are many who think otherwise because they took too many puffs or had too much to eat. It’s essentially like throwing someone into the deep end of the pool who has never swam before, minus the danger.
We don’t demand that alcohol companies provide recommended dosages to people who consume their products. I’ve never seen a pack of beer have a recommended serving or a bottle of vodka say how many shots someone should take, and I don’t expect them to either. With alcohol though, you can die from consuming too much.
It is impossible to die from consuming cannabis.
It would go a long ways though if the cannabis industry did more to help provide that information up front to novice consumers. More regulation won’t be the answer though, just good judgement on the consumer’s part with some assistance from those providing the herb.
Just remember though, you’ll be fine if you eat too much, even if you don’t feel like that’s the case.
Latest posts by Stephen Carter (see all)
- Educational foundation for marijuana in Texas established - October 16, 2017