Texas girl dead after being taken from parents for smoking marijuana
A young girl has died under the supervision of foster parents after she was taken from her parents for neglectful supervision after they admitted to smoking marijuana while she was asleep.
Her father, Joshua Hill of Round Rock, spoke with KVUE about the incident.
“We got to sit down at McDonalds and have lunch and play for a while,” said Hill. He continued “she got a little ‘Despicable Me 2’ toy in her happy meal and she loved it. She kept climbing up in my lap and she fed me french fries.”
That was the last time he would get to see his daughter Alexandria before he would visit her at the hospital, arriving to find she was in a coma.
Alex was rushed to Rockdale hospital with severe head injuries, then flown to Scott and White Children’s Emergency Hospital in Temple and immediately placed on life support.
She had been living with foster parents since last November.
Hill stated “we never hurt our daughter. She was never sick, she was never in the hospital, and she never had any issues until she went into state care.”
For the first two months, Alex was placed in a home that Hill says was dangerous as he claimed “she would come to visitation with bruises on her, and mold and mildew in her bag. It got to a point where I actually told CPS that they would have to have me arrested because I wouldn’t let her go back.”
He said the situation seemed to get better though when she was placed with Sherill Small in Rockdale.
Then Hill was called and told to come to the hospital. Alex was kept on life support and for two days they hoped she would regain consciousness, but she ended up dying.
Rockdale detectives say Small’s explanation didn’t match Alex’s injuries and she was arrested on murder charges. Another child was removed from her after Alex was taken to the hospital.
Hill says he was less than four months away from getting Alex back and now he’ll never get the chance.
Officials with the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services tell KVUE they rely on private child placing agencies to perform background checks on all foster homes.
The agency in this case is called Texas Mentor and state records show 15 total deficiencies for the Austin branch of that agency over the past two years.
Four of those deficiencies were for failing to perform proper background checks on people who live in foster homes.
It has left many wondering how a child could be taken from her parents for their consumption of a non-toxic plant that has been legalized in two states and is used medicinally in 20 states, which would lead to unnecessary suffering and ultimately heartbreak for a family.
By: Stephen Carter
Contact Stephen via email at TXCann@gmail.com
Latest posts by Stephen Carter (see all)
- Texas medical marijuana CBD program rules adopted, now taking applications - February 23, 2017